Is Your Home's Electrical Safe? 5 Signs You Need an Update or Inspection

January 24, 2023

Are you worried about the safety of your home’s electrical system? Your electric is an essential part of your home, and if not properly maintained, it can cause a variety of issues. But how do you know when it’s time to inspect or update your home’s electrical? In this blog post, we’ll discuss five signs that indicate it’s time to call in a professional to inspect and update your home’s electrical. Knowing these signs can help you keep your home safe and your family protected from the potential dangers of a faulty electrical system.

Outlets are warm to touch

One of the most important signs that your home's electrical system may need to be updated or inspected is if any of your outlets are warm to the touch. This can be a sign of overloading, which occurs when you plug too many items into one outlet. It can also be a sign of a faulty wiring connection, which can lead to a dangerous fire hazard. If any of your outlets are warm to the touch, it is important to contact an electrician as soon as possible. They will be able to inspect the outlet and determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced.

Flickering or dimming lights

If you’ve ever noticed your lights flickering or dimming, it may be a sign that your home’s electrical needs to be updated or inspected. This is because flickering or dimming lights can indicate an overloaded circuit, faulty wiring, or poor connections in the wiring. If left unchecked, this could lead to more serious problems such as shorts and sparks.

When it comes to flickering or dimming lights, it’s best to have a professional electrician take a look. An electrician can determine the cause of the flickering and make any necessary repairs or upgrades. If an overload is causing the issue, then the electrician can determine if more power outlets are needed or suggest ways to reduce the strain on the circuit. They may also recommend rewiring the lights and fixtures to ensure they are up to code. In any case, having a professional electrician inspect the wiring in your home can ensure the safety of you and your family.

Frequent circuit breaker trips 

Did you know there are some houseplants that will filter the air inside your One of the tell-tale signs that your home’s electrical needs to be updated or inspected is frequent circuit breaker trips. If you find yourself frequently having to reset a tripped circuit breaker, it could be an indication that the amount of electricity going through your system has exceeded the circuit’s capacity. If the breaker trips multiple times even after resetting it, it could indicate an electrical overload. This could be due to wiring that isn’t able to handle the amount of power going through it, or a circuit that is overloaded with too many appliances. It’s important to have an electrician inspect your home’s wiring and circuits to identify any potential problems and ensure your safety.

Sparks from outlets and switches

If you ever see sparks coming from outlets or switches, this is a sign that your electrical system needs to be inspected immediately. Sparks can be caused by loose wiring or a short circuit. Not only could this cause a fire, but it can also lead to electric shock if touched. Therefore, you should have a professional inspect the system to determine the root cause of the sparking. They may need to replace faulty outlets, switches, or wiring. Make sure any repairs are done correctly, as incorrect installation could lead to more sparks and potential damage.

Burning smell coming from outlets or switches

If you’ve noticed a burning smell coming from your electrical outlets or switches, this is an extremely serious issue and should be addressed immediately. A burning smell indicates that there is an electrical fire or an arcing fault somewhere in the wiring, which could be caused by faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, or other issues. It's also possible that the wiring insulation has been compromised and the wires are overheating, leading to the burning smell.

If you notice a burning smell coming from your outlets or switches, unplug any appliances that are connected to them and do not use them until an electrician can inspect them. It’s important to call a professional electrician as soon as possible to determine the cause of the problem and have it fixed. Ignoring this issue could lead to an electrical fire, so it’s best to take preventative measures and get it checked out right away.

It’s important to stay aware of the warning signs that your home’s electrical system may be outdated or in need of an inspection. From warm outlets to flickering lights and burning smells, these five signs are all telltale indicators that it’s time to call our Energy Today team. Don’t put your family’s safety at risk - if you notice any of these signs in your home, call today for an inspection and any necessary updates.

Contact or Schedule a Repair Online!

Contact our Energy Today team, today!

Ready for service?

Related Reading