A tragedy. That’s the only way to describe holiday fires.
A time meant for fun and relaxation with friends and family can quickly take a turn for the worst because people aren’t careful decorating with their holiday lights.
According to a study by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), in 2005-2009 Holiday lights caused 150 home structure fires per year. This resulted in “an average of eight civilian deaths, 14 civilian injuries, and $8.5 million in direct property damage per year.”
It’s a very real problem. That’s why we’re here to show you the most common mistakes made with holiday lights so you can avoid an electrical fire and have a happy holiday with your Sarasota-area family.
All holiday lights fall under two categories: indoor-rated and outdoor-rated. Outdoor-rated lights are specifically built to stand up to the harsh outside environment while maintaining safe electrical connections.
Using indoor-rated lights outside your home is a good way to cause an electrical fire, especially if it rains.
Make sure the holiday lights you’re using are appropriate for the environment where you’re using them. Also, when you need extension cords for your holiday lights, make sure you get extension cords that are rated for outdoor use as well.
If you do use outdoor lights and they get wet, make sure you let them dry out before storing them.
So, where should you store your lights? Glad you asked! An interior closet is the best place to store your lights.
For increased safety, avoid keeping them in the attic or basement. The extreme heat of these unconditioned spaces can deteriorate wiring and connections.
There are several mistakes that fall under this category. Here are the most common holiday light installation mistakes that can cause a holiday fire:
Don’t allow these holiday light safety mistakes to ruin your holidays. Have a merry Christmas and happy holidays from Energy Today in Florida!