Landscape lighting can turn your outdoor space into an inviting and breathtaking display. But how much does it cost for the installation?
Well, the cost to install low-voltage landscape lighting in Florida ranges from $67 to $130 per light fixture.
Yeah, that’s a huge difference in price but that’s because the price per light fixture varies depending on:
- The type of low-voltage light bulbs you’re using
- Whether you’re working around existing landscaping or not
- Whether you’ll need to install a new circuit or not
- The electrician you choose
Let’s take a closer look at how these 4 factors affect cost.
Factor #1: The type of low-voltage bulbs you’re using
While various options exist for low-voltage landscape lights, homeowners typically choose between 2 common options:
- Halogen bulbs: the cheaper option—$4 to $10 per light*
- LED bulbs: the more expensive option—$20 to $40 per light*
*Prices above only include cost of the bulb itself, not installation/labor costs.
Our suggestion? If you can afford the higher upfront cost of LED lights, this is the most ideal option. That’s because LED lights last much longer than halogen lights, which means lower long term costs for replacement bulbs.
Let’s take a closer look at how choosing LED bulbs saves you more money in the long run...
Lifespan of halogen bulbs vs LED bulbs
- Last 2,000 to 4,000 hours
- Will need to be replaced every 8 to 12 months*
- Require an additional $80 to $100 per light fixture to keep landscape lighting powered for 10 years (on top of initial installation costs)
- Last 25,000 to 100,000 hours
- Will need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years*
- Require no additional cost after installation to keep landscape lighting powered for 10 years
*The frequency of bulb replacement varies depending on how often you use/power your landscape lighting.
Factor #2: Whether you have existing landscape or not
If you’re trying to add lights around existing landscape, this will increase the cost of the overall project.
That’s because your electrician will have to implant light fixtures and then bury/run wiring around existing trees, shrubbery and structures, which will increase the time and labor of the project.
If you don’t have existing landscaping yet, your electrician will be able to place light fixtures and wiring without restriction, which cuts down on time, labor and cost.
Factor #3: Whether you’ll need to install a new breaker
If your landscape lights don’t fit on an existing circuit, you’ll need to have an electrician install a new circuit breaker. And this can cost an additional $200 to $300, depending on the size breaker and your electrical panel.
Wondering if you’ll need a new breaker installed or not? Well, it all depends on:
- The combined wattage of all the lights you’re installing
- The total available wattage on existing circuits
If you’re not sure whether you have room on an existing circuit or not, have an electrician inspect your panel.
Factor #4: The electrician you choose to install the lights
The more skilled and experienced the electrician, the higher they’ll charge to install your low-voltage landscape lighting.
But also consider whether the electrician will be providing a custom landscape lighting “design” versus installing a few lights where you want them placed.
The more comprehensive the project, the more you’ll want to consider choosing an electrician who can also provide a customized lighting design, if needed. Why? Well, a trained electrician who specializes in landscape lighting will be able to combine various types of spotlights, uplights, wall washing, path lights, etc. to enhance the beauty of your outdoor space and add security.
So, when it comes to getting landscape lighting quotes from various electricians/contractors, consider whether they:
- Are licensed and insured electricians in the state of Florida
- Specialize specifically in landscape lighting (vs just a general electrician)
- Can provide 2 to 3 references of past landscape lighting customers
- Have at least 10+ years of experience in landscape lighting
- Have solid reviews
Need a quote for your low-voltage landscape lighting? Ask our Florida electricians
If you need a reliable and experienced landscape lighting electrician, just contact us.
We’ve provided over 2,000 landscape lighting projects in the past 28 years and can provide customized landscape lighting designs to match your budget, tastes and needs.
Just check out our landscape lighting gallery here.
- Posted in:
- Buyer's Guide